For most of us, one’s first peak activation for Summits on the Air is a bit like the first time having sex:
- You obsess over when it will happen
- You play out the event in your mind
- Your plan goes to $#!t the moment you start
- Everything is over (very) quickly
- And you can’t wait to do it again!
At least, that’s how my first SOTA activation went. I was a new ham and was getting dreadfully bored with checking in on the weekly club net. I had been hiking for years though, and somewhere I stumbled across SOTA. A quick search of the rules and a realized I could do it. A quick search of the maps revealed that there was an easy peak right next to me. It was on!